Old Sydney Gasworks, Hickson Road Millers Point, prior to conversion for use as Sydney Harbour Trust Main Store. c1912
The Australian Gas Lighting (AGL) Company built and operated Australia’s first
major gasworks on this site from 1839. AGL began distributing gas in 1841, and
continued throughout the 19th century – when Sydney was solely dependent on gas
Following an outbreak of Bubonic plague in 1901, the Sydney Harbour Trust resumed all properties on the waterfront between Dawes Point and the head of Darling Harbour. From the early 1900s the Sydney Harbour Trust extended the shoreline into the Harbour, so that the Gas Works site and other properties along this stretch no longer stood on the Harbour’s edge.
For much of the 20th century,
36 The Bond played a prominent role
in the historical, social and physical development of Sydney.